Sunday, August 12, 2007

Night Market

Welcome to the night market!

I know it looks like it's day time but it's just getting started so it gets darker as we go. The melons here are huge and sweet!
You can buy a whole one or by the slice if you want to eat it on the go.
Setting up on the street corner.

Around the corner there is a whole street (3 blocks length) packed with vendors.

This is just the street with food on it!



Here I am talking to my teacher who was showing us around the market.
This is what we like to call a 'stare bear'.
I get a lot of these looks over here... okay maybe some at home too!
You can get lamb...
cooked lamb......lamb with a bow!


We have a large selection of 'things' on a stick.
The lamb kabobs are my favorite.

The noodle dish with green beans on top was what my teacher recommended and what I ate for dinner that night. Not bad just a little spicy for my taste. Next to the noodles however, is a stack of lung, liver and intestines- the type of animal is unknown... yummy?

Green beans anyone?

Or maybe you would prefer lamb feet?
Maybe you prefer seafood...
...although I am in the largest city the furthest from an ocean.
By the way the crabs, grubs, silk worms and their friends here are all alive and wiggling.This looks pretty but I have no idea what it is.
I played it safe and topped of the night with roasted corn on the cob...
...and popcorn. mmmm.....Believe it or not there is a whole other street perpendicular to the food street with 3 blocks of clothes, shoes, jewelry, and local souvenirs. We spent a lot of time down that street and did a lot of shopping but this is the only picture I took! We were busy!Even in the rain this place was hopping.





Oh yeah, this guy's happy to be there.