Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympic Soccer

Put your headbands on and get ready! Everyone was decked out for the Soccer game I went to in Tian Jin.

No matter how young or old lots of people were carrying flags.


This is my Chinese friend and I holding the flag outside the stadium before the game.

Here is one of the many, MANY, volunteers helping make all this possible.

Everyone was excited on the way in to the stadium.


All kinds of people, all willing to have their picture taken.

These guys are holding their flag and getting some photos taken before the game starts.


We were there for women's soccer preliminaries.


Me and the soccer field.


I was super excited to be there!

I had my very own flag to wave as well.

But was also sure to be supporting my birth place!

Quite the fashion statement! In case you are wondering my shirt says 'jia you zhong guo' which means Go China!


Flag stickers were very popular.

I got to be at the China Olympics, watch team China play, and share the experience with my Chinese friend! Hard to beat that.

My ticket and flag (there was some time to kill before the game started!)

Oh excuse me, we weren't watching soccer we were watching football!


I loved all the different fans! Most of them may have never even been to a sporting event before. People of all kinds and types were there that day.

We saw two games. The first was Sweden and Argentina, the second was China and Canada.

It was hard to forget what country you were in.

Sweden and Argentina playing.


A young fan watching the game.


My neighbors in the stands.

China was there in full force!


The Sweden - Argentina match ended 1:0.

More faces in the crowd.


These girls were sitting behind me.

This little guy is watching the action.

I was comforted for the first time because I was not the only one walking around with the really huge camera taking a million pictures!

And now for the REAL game!

Here are teams China and Canada- we got to hear the national anthems played. You should have heard the 56,000+ Chinese all singing their anthem, it was intense!


Lots of families were enjoying the moment.


Here we are on the field. China in red, Canada in white.

More father and son pictures.

Almost had a goal, it was a very close game.

Lots of action down on the field.


The goalie grabs the ball out of the air!


A chest hit.

The final score! A tie!

Not bad at all for my first ever soccer game.