Saturday, October 6, 2007

Oil Town

This is the oil town in the desert I recently visited.Looking towards the surrounding mountains you can see the oil industry at work.Fields of pump jacks reminded me of road trips from my childhood.This is Black Oil Mountain. Here is where the first oil was found in this area. The 'mountain' its self is made of oil as the oil here has seeped up from the ground below. In the summer time the asphalt like surface is soft and black with warm oil. All across Black Oil Mountain you can find pools of crude oil that have come up from the ground.If you look closely you will find bubbles in most of the pools that are caring natural gas up to the surface. This statue was erected in honor of the minority man who first found the oil and used it as fuel carrying it buckets of it to his neighboring towns so that the people would have heat. Here are some pictures of me and the pump jacks. Makes me just a little bit homesick for the Texas panhandle!